Spatial Planning Today with Riek Bakker in Tilburg
In the second iteration of Spatial Planning Today, Riek Bakker invites speakers and the audience to focus on the first sketch of the 'Integral Spatial Proposal of North Brabant' the first draft of which will be presented live from the council chamber of the municipality of Tilburg. Together with thinkers and policy makers, we discuss governance and regulation in the municipality and region.
20 June 2023 17:00 - 19:00
During series the kick-off on 6 April in Rotterdam, Wouter Vanstiphout (architectural historian and researcher) gave an analysis of the spatial state of the Netherlands in addition to a short history lesson. What are the main challenges, and where do the opportunities for cooperation lie? Two main conclusions formed the capstone for the meeting in Tilburg:
- Integral thinking and planning: solution in coherence and linkage of spatial tasks.
- Time for action: dialogue on a proposal for the Netherlands' fragmented space.
The second meeting of the series will take place in the council chamber of Tilburg Town Hall. The audience will join a conversation on the 'Integral Spatial Proposal North Brabant', of which a first draft will be presented. This plan is currently being developed by representatives of water boards, the region, municipalities and the province of North Brabant.
Please note that this event will be conducted in Dutch
- 19:00 hr: Word of welcome by alderman Bas van der Pol and moderator Josien Paulides (Corporate Director, Nieuwe Instituut)
- 19:10 hr: Introduction by Riek Bakker
- 19:20 hr: First sketch 'Integral Spatial Proposal Brabant' by Erwin Dacier and Hans Büchi
- 19:40 hr: Reaction to the sketch by Ivka Orbon and Eva Wolf; moderated by Josien Paulides
- 20:10 hr: Panel Discussion on the future of spatial planning between Riek Bakker, Elisabeth Boersma, Peter Savelberg and Berno Strootman; moderated by Josien Paulides
- 20:55 hr: Conclusion
- 21:00 hr: End of programme
- Bas van der Pol (Alderman, Municipality of Tilburg)
- Berno Strootman (Founder, Strootman Landschapsarchitecten)
- Elisabeth Boersma (Urban developer, Plan b and board member, CAST)
- Erwin Dacier (Project leader Spatial Proposal, Province of North Brabant)
- Eva Wolf (Assistant Professor, Tilburg University)
- Hans Büchi (Advisor, Provincie of North Brabant)
- Ivka Orbon (Director, BrabantAdvies)
- Peter Savelberg (Founder, TristateCity)
- Riek Bakker (Urban planner and urban developer)
This event is moderated by Josien Paulidus (Corporate Director, Nieuwe Instituut)
Spatial Planning Today
Housing shortages and our growing need for energy, data storage and food production are competing for priority, against a backdrop of an energy and nitrogen crisis, inequality and the climate challenge. With the meeting series Spatial Planning Today, we search with urban planner and urban developer Riek Bakker for a new, cohesive vision based on knowledge of the past and best practices of the present. Together with urban planners, architects, active citizens and administrators, we examine the key tasks and opportunities for cooperation in the spatial planning of the Netherlands.