Compliments to our Brave Architect!
Dive into the fascinating story of the first female architects in the Netherlands with the author of Hulde aan onze kranige architecte! (Compliments to our Brave Architect!). During the evening, author Erika Smeets-Klokgieters will present archival pieces from the Nieuwe Instituut’s collection, followed by an insightful discussion with the Beukers Scholma team about their vision for the publication.
18 October 2023 15:00 - 16:00
Please note: this event will be conducted in Dutch
Smeets-Klokgieters reveals the remarkable journey of pioneering women architects, including Grada Wolffensperger, who graduated in architecture in the 20th century. Why and how did these women become architects at a time when women were expected to look after the family and the home? What was their education like, and was it even possible for them to practise this male-dominated profession? Erica Smeets-Klokgieters tells the story of the rise of the female architect. With more than 20 biographies, her book is an indispensable reference work on a hitherto under-explored part of Dutch architectural history.
- 17:00 hr - Welcome by Laurence Ostyn (nai101)
- 17:05 hr - Lecture by Erica Smeets-Klokgieters
- 17:25 hr - Commentary by graphic designers of the publication (Beukers Scholma)
- 17:35 hr - Presentation of archival material from the collection of Nieuwe Instituut
- 17:50 hr - Q&A
- 18:00 hr - End of the programme