Vacancy: Support member Research
Nieuwe Instituut in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, is looking for a Support member Research for a maximum of 24 hours per week.
Nieuwe Instituut is the Netherlands’ national museum and institute for architecture, design and digital culture. Based in Rotterdam, a global centre for design innovation, the institute’s mission is to embrace the power and potential of new thinking, exploring past, present and future in order to imagine, test and enact a better tomorrow. Encouraging visitors of all ages to question, rethink and contribute, the institute’s exhibitions, public programmes, research, and wide-reaching national and international initiatives provide a testing ground for collaboration with leading designers, thinkers and diverse audiences, critically addressing the urgent questions of our times.
In addition to housing the National Collection for Dutch Architecture and Urban Planning, the institute manages the 1933 Sonneveld House, a leading example of Dutch Functionalist architecture, as part of its campus in Rotterdam’s Museumpark.
For the Research team at the Nieuwe Instituut, the act of doing research is considered a public activity, done with and for (different) publics. From this perspective, exhibitions, public programmes and publications become occasions for public investigation and experimentation, and not necessarily only for displaying outcomes. We see research as collaborative practices that lead to collective forms of imagination and action, opening a space for experimental, regenerative activities and critical thinking with the aim to contribute to the emergence of a society that sustains all life.
- Providing professional and proactive support to the Research team in administrative, and relationship management matters related to the Research team;
- You play a central role in the practical organisation of the team and form the supporting liaison between HR, managers from other departments, and executive assistants;
- You are the liaison of information flows and have a monitoring role in this;
- This position has a high level of organising, preparing, ability to keep up with multiple parallel tracks of communication and providing proactive support. This support includes responsibilities for the (sometimes complex) agenda of management, relationship management, organising, preparing and possibly taking minutes of meetings;
- You monitor processes and check deadlines;
- Ad hoc work always takes place, prioritisation is therefore important;
- Administratively, you offer support in keeping the meeting schedule up to date, taking minutes, making sure documents are available, and archiving them correctly;
- You are part of the Research team and will work together with the Researchers in the team and the General and Artistic Director on practical matters.
Who are you?
You are used to working at HBO level and preferably have experience in a similar position. You feel at home in the cultural world and are keen to join a team tackling some of the big societal and ecological questions of our day in an open, friendly and inspiring environment. You have an excellent command of the Dutch and English languages, both verbally and in writing, as well as a thorough knowledge of the Microsoft Office package.
You are comfortable in fluid and sometimes unpredictable work situations, and can handle confidential documents well and discreetly. You work carefully, with an eye for detail, deadlines and organizational processes. You can work well independently but also collaborate well. You have a flexible working attitude.
A one-year employment contract, with the possibility of extension. Depending on education and experience, the salary is in scale 8 (with possible expansion to scale 9). A pleasant working environment in a dynamic organisation where you work with permanent colleagues and a flexible pool of freelance contractors.
For questions about the content of the position, please contact Delany Boutkan, Researcher, via +31 06 50 44 33 57. For questions about the application procedure, please contact Sandra Van Gent, HR, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Celebrating and encouraging diversity in a broad sense (outlooks, mindsets, culture, age, gender, sexual orientation, faith, etc.) is a key focus of the Nieuwe Instituut. Nieuwe Instituut accordingly strives for a balanced workforce.